The Blood Bank
Humans aren’t the only ones who need blood in an emergency. Our volunteer teams of dogs and cats donate enough blood for 700+ transfusions every year at our hospital and other clinics. Can your pet help?
Could your dog be a Superhero?
While all pets are super, donor qualifications help us keep our Superhero donors healthy during their service.
- Dogs only (we recruit feline Superheroes from the households of veterinary professionals for their health and safety).
- 1 - 6 years old
- Weighs at least 55 pounds
- Current on vaccinations and flea and heartworm control
- Gentle disposition
- Has never had a blood transfusion
- Ability to make a two-year commitment
- Must donate four times per year (but no more than six)
- Examination information, including your dog’s blood type, is entered into the DoveLewis database and shared with your family veterinarian
- Routine blood work (complete blood analysis and chemistry profile) once a year, and annual tick and flea-borne disease screening
- Annual physical exam by veterinarian
- Complimentary initial exams at DoveLewis in the event of an emergency
- Blood transfusions for the donor, up to the number donated
- Discounted heartworm control available for purchase
- Yearly celebration for blood donors and retirees