Fourth of July: Celebrate with Pet Safety in Mind
Every year on Independence Day many families experience pet emergencies. The celebration and festivities can cause several hazards to pets that can not only be distressing to them, but also harmful. Loud noises from exploding fireworks, unfamiliar guests, as well as fire hazards and holiday food can result in stress and injury to pets.
“Make sure pets are safely secured indoors and in a cool place if left at home during Fourth of July celebrations,” said Dr. Sarah Tauber, a veterinarian at DoveLewis Emergency Animal Hospital. “Keep your dogs on a leash if you’re out watching fireworks, and keep a safe distance away from any live fireworks shows.”
- Loud noises: Exploding fireworks can be very stressful to animals. Pets often jump fences or dig their way out of yards when they’re left outside during this time of year.
- Fireworks: Animals can mistake fireworks in shiny packaging for food. Fireworks are poisonous to pets, and should be kept out of reach. Additionally, flames from falling fireworks and sparklers can burn pets.
- Food: A holiday barbeque or picnic can pose a threat to pets and often lead to unfortunate digestion mishaps.
- Safely secure pets indoors while fireworks are going off. If you have to take your dog outside, make sure to use a leash.
- If your pet is extra sensitive to loud noises, do not leave your pet alone for extended periods of time.
- Keep all used and unused fireworks away from animals at all times.
- Make sure your pet is microchipped and wearing identification tags, so that you have a better chance of being reunited in the event that your pet gets lost.
- If your pet is sensitive to noise, talk to your veterinarian about whether or not the use of a mild sedative is appropriate.
- Keep all food out of pets’ reach and make sure trash bags are tightly secured.
If your pet needs emergency veterinary care, you can rely on DoveLewis any hour of the day, every single day of the year. We’re located at 1945 NW Pettygrove Street in Portland. Or call 503.228.7281.