Potential Household Toxins for Pets
Many common household items are poisonous to pets, including some that can even be fatal. No matter how close of an eye we keep on our furry friends, they can still have a tendency to be a bit mischievous. Finding all the places to explore that they shouldn't, garbage cans, cupboards, purses, etc. Exposure to poison and toxic substances is one of the most common reasons pets visit the emergency room at DoveLewis. It is important for pet owners to know what items are harmful and ensure that they are safe, secure, and our of reach of our pets.
Toxic items for pets include:
FOOD AND DRINK
- Grapes and raisins
- Coffee, tea, and caffeinated drinks
- Dough (Yeast)
- Xylitol (artificial sweetener)
- Onions and garlic
- Excessive salt intake
- Macadamia nuts
- Fatty foods
- Certain types of lilies
- Tulip bulbs
- English ivy
- Rhubarb leaves
- Fungi (such as certain varieties of mushrooms)
To look up if a plant is toxic to your pet, view the list of toxic and non-toxic plants here.
- Ornamental plants (lilies, sago palms, tulips, and more)
- Fragrance products and liquid potpourri
- Sleep aids
- Cold medicines
- Pain relievers and anti-inflammatory drugs
- Prescription drugs
- Veterinary prescriptions, if ingested incorrectly
- Adhesives (wood glue, etc.)
- Cleaning products
- Snail poison
- Rat poison
- Other pesticides and rodenticides
ASPCA Animal Poison Control shares valuable lists of potential toxins for pets to help protect your pets from these poisonous substances.
Additional tips for poison prevention:
- Store cleaning agents, pesticides, automotive products, and other dangerous chemicals in areas that are inaccessible to your pets. After using cleaning products, keep pets away from the area until it is dry.
- Keep garbage cans behind closed doors. Many animals get sick from sneaking into the waste bin.
- Never give your pet medication, especially human medication, unless directed to do so by a veterinarian. Human medications can be deadly for animals.
- Dispose of old medications in trash or container that animals cannot access.
- Read all labels prior to using any products in your home. Always follow the directions for safety.
- Do not use cat products for dogs and vice versa. For instance, using dog flea medications on a cat can cause serious illness.
- Do not allow pets on lawns or gardens treated with fertilizers, herbicides, or insecticides until the products have dried completely. Always store these products away from pet areas.
- Small items that fall on the floor can be easily swallowed by a curious pet. This can include coins, buttons, small children’s toys, medicine, jewelry, nails, and screws. Check the areas around you to pick up any items before your pet's curiosity gets the better of them.
If you are unsure about the use of the product, read the warning labels, ask the manufacturer or your veterinarian. Signs of poison exposure vary but include vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, excessive drooling, breathing issues, seizures, and loss of muscle control.
If you believe that your animal is ill or may have ingested a poisonous substance, contact your local veterinarian or the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center at 1-888-426-4435 or DoveLewis at (503) 228-7281.
Keeping Pets Safe in the Heat
Are you and your pet ready for the summer heat? As we try to keep cool in the high temperatures, be sure to pay special attention to your furry friends.
Pawsitively Wrapped: The Art of Pet Bandaging for Pet First Aid
What do you do when your pet has a wound? Seeking veterinary care is a must. But having some basic knowledge of bandaging your pet can prevent further bleeding, provide protection and prevent infection until you can see the vet.