Shana O'Marra, our chief medical officer, comes to us with a history of exceptional leadership and a vision for the future.
Dr. O’Marra has extensive experience in emergency and critical care, including roles as interim medical director, residency training supervisor, blood bank director and senior on-call surgeon.
At each step in her career, she has demonstrated a commitment to the field and a desire to lead. That natural leadership has positioned her as a champion of advancing the field of veterinary medicine – and not just in patient care. Dr. O’Marra is an advocate for Balint-style case discussions, a practice in grand rounds that takes into consideration the impact a case has on the team who treated the patient. It is a powerful representation of how veterinarians can honor the impact and importance of the human-animal bond on the hospital floor.
Dr. O'Marra's level of commitment to the veterinary profession naturally embodies the DoveLewis mission to care for our community’s animals, their families and the veterinary professionals.
Looking to the future
"Her determination to make a difference sets Dr. O'Marra apart. She's leading cutting-edge efforts, and I have no doubt that she will help us continue to move forward, too."
- Ron Morgan, DoveLewis president and CEO
• Immune-mediated thrombocytopenia
• Fluid resuscitation
- Tufts Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine/Tufts Veterinary Emergency Treatment and Specialties - Emergency and Critical Care Residency
- Alameda East Veterinary Hospital (Denver, Colorado) - Small Animal Medicine and Surgery Internships
- Tufts University School of Veterinary Medicine - Doctorate in Veterinary Medicine
- Oberlin College (Oberlin, Ohio) - Bachelor of the Arts in Neuroscience