Run for the Love of Dove 5K
Sunday - June 9, 2013
NW 19th & Raleigh, Portland
Onsite registration: 7:30AM
Race starts: 9:00AM
Thank you to everyone who participated in the Run for the Love of Dove 5K! More than 550 runners and nearly 300 dogs hit the streets of Northwest Portland, raising $37,000 for the DoveLewis Stray Animal & Wildlife Program—a program that provided care for 1,119 sick and injured strays and wildlife last year at a cost of nearly $260,000.
ABOUT THE EVENT
Lace up those running shoes and get prepared to pound the pavement in support of DoveLewis! This fun run 5K is the perfect event for the whole family! Runners, both human and canine, of all experience levels are invited to join the fun. After conquering the course, stick around for the post-race festivities. Get your picture taken in our photo booth, compete in our silly pet tricks contest, and nosh on delicious fare from the Quimby food carts or enjoy a refreshing beverage from our friends at Sniff or Quimby’s. Proceeds benefit the Stray Animal & Wildlife Fund and help animals just like Lola.
Flat and fast 5K through the neighborhoods of NW Portland! Strollers, dogs, music…it’s all allowed! Dogs must be kept on a leash. There will be photographers on the race course. Click here for the 2013 course map.
Save time and pick up your Runners Bib and T-shirt before the run. You can pick up your packet on site the day of the event starting at 7:30AM, but lines may be long and the race begins at 9:00AM sharp.Click Here for Packet Pick-Up times and locations
DOG TRICKS CONTESTS
Get your four-legged friends ready for the beloved Pet Tricks Contest! Contest will be held starting at 10:00AM at the street fair stage. We will be awarding prizes in the following categories:
Click here for the 5 week plan
(For the intermediate runner and for runners who have previously been running 1-2 times per week)
Click here for the 10 week plan
(For the beginning runner, who has little to no running experience and is starting from scratch)
Exercise Disclaimer: Always consult a qualified medical professional before beginning any exercise program. Any content or information provided by DoveLewis is for informational and educational purposes only, and any use thereof is solely at your own risk. The information contained herein is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment in any manner. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding any medical condition.
GENERAL SAFETY TIPS
- Always carry ID! Whether it’s your actual license or an identification tag, it’s important to have something on you in case you do get hurt and need assistance.
- Run facing traffic. And always run on the outside of turns if possible, not on the inside where cars are likely to whip around before seeing you.
- Keep your music low. Blasting Lady Gaga might make you run faster, but it’s also going to make you miss a car’s horn or warning call.
- Wear reflective clothing when there is low light (even at dusk or dawn).
- When you can, run with a friend.
- It’s always a good idea to carry a cell phone while running, in case of emergency (or if you need to order a pizza while on a run).
Interested in volunteering at this event? Please fill out this online interest form.