DoveLewis is a Teaching Hospital
DoveLewis provides in-house continuing education, both internships and externships, for veterinary professionals. Annually, four veterinary interns, over 30 veterinary students, and numerous veterinary technicians come to DoveLewis for training in emergency and critical care. We are proud of our collaborations with Portland Community College’s Veterinary Technician Program and the Veterinary Colleges at Oregon State University and Washington State University.
Continuing Education for the Veterinary Community
We invite all doctors and support staff in the community to attend our 3rd Thursday Rounds (the 3rd Thursday of every month) and various other CE events. Doctors and technicians who attend receive 1 unit of CE credit for each meeting. Rounds cover all topics in veterinary medicine. Click here to view our upcoming opportunities for continuing education.
Training On Demand
On the Floor @Dove is an online training tool we created to meet the needs of all veterinary professionals. By purchasing a premium account, you’ll give your entire practice access to our quizzes, RACE-approved content and high-quality videos featuring practicing veterinary professionals handling real cases at DoveLewis. Click here to learn more about how On the Floor @Dove can benefit you.
DoveLewis is pleased to offer veterinary internship opportunities. DoveLewis is a part of the Veterinary Internship & Residency Matching Program (VIRMP). To learn more about the VIRMP application process, please click here to visit their website.
HR Benefits for Interns:
- 48 hours vacation per year (taken after the first 6 months at DoveLewis Emergency Animal Hospital)
- Affordable full medical, dental, long-term & short-term disability, and life insurance
- Paid professional dues with local and national Veterinary organizations including, American Animal Hospital Association (AAHA), Portland Veterinary Medical Association (PVMA), and Veterinary Information Network (VIN)
- Out rotations with diagnostic imaging, surgery, and Cardiology specialists. Also, a five day rotation at a local community practice
- If working in Portland and Southwest Washington is your goal, we have many community outreach opportunities for you to meet local community and emergency practices (52% of interns in the previous six years work at a local Portland veterinary clinic; 87% of the current DoveLewis staff doctors participated in an internship)
- Uniforms provided
- Employee pet ward
- Discounts for employee pet medical care
- The opportunity to work with the highest concentration of certified ECC Veterinary Technicians in a private practice on the Northwest coast
- Each intern will have supporting staff DVM’s working in conjunction with their shifts, on the treatment floor, so there will always be a DVM available for any questions
- DoveLewis is an AAHA accredited specialty hospital
Jacquelyn Abbatantono, DVM
Jennifer Gorman, DVM
Kelsey Quinn, DVM
Robert Siefken, DVM
DoveLewis Emergency Animal Hospital invites fourth-year students to practice their knowledge and clinical skills in one of the most highly esteemed emergency and critical care veterinary hospitals in the region. In our well-equipped 24-hour hospital, an extern can expect to learn the art of triage as well as the ability to recognize and treat certain key emergency and critical care situations such as shock, respiratory distress and GDV. In addition, DoveLewis gives students the opportunity to learn the value of a team approach while working with doctors, technicians and nurses in the management of critically ill animals.
Externships are available to fourth-year veterinary students currently enrolled in an accredited college of veterinary medicine. Externs must be US citizens. This is a 40-hours-per-week commitment. Externships are scheduled for a two-week period of time and start on every other Monday. Applications are accepted on an ongoing basis and positions are available throughout the year excluding the end of June and December.
Please submit the interest form below. Upon receiving your inquiry, we will contact you to set up your externship schedule. We look forward to hearing from you soon!
DoveLewis Emergency Animal Hospital is also proud to offer veterinary technician externships. Each term, DoveLewis accepts two students from the Portland Community College (PCC) Veterinary Technology program and one student from a different technician program. (Please note: If you are currently a PCC student, you must apply for this externship through your school program instead of completing the form below.) Technician externs gain valuable, hands-on experience in an emergency setting.
Technician externships are unpaid and typically last six to eight weeks. This may vary, depending on your program’s requirements. All technician externs must be US citizens who are insured independently or through their school. Externs must also provide their own housing accommodations (though a list of housing options can be provided upon request).